Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The 'Rock-stars' in my life




This is the most personal blog that I have ever written. It is an ode to the by-gone days and a promise for the future. It is a toast to all the important people in my life. As someone rightly said, we meet millions of people in the journey called life, out of which there are only thousands whom we call acquaintance, a hundred whom we call friends and family and a handful who defines our lives and moulds its joys and sorrows, its sighs and exultation, its mornings and nights….it is to those handful that I dedicate this piece. At the dawn of a new year, a new promise for a brighter and safer future, a silent prayer for a better world, it is to those kindred souls that I thank for the great experience called ‘life.’


Parents: no one can and no one will ever fill your shoes. You have been a pillar of strength all along the way; whenever I have faltered (and there has been incidents many), you have been there to cushion my falls and hold my hand to rise and face life with a chin held high and a strength to carve a better tomorrow. You have been the picture of selfless love and unfailing attention, and if not for you the world would not be the same for me ever. Today, tomorrow and life-long, my world would always begin and end with you, irrespective of what I fill it with in-between.


Brother: What would my life be without the childhood squabbles, the endless fun, the fights, the small moments of joys and sorrows that we carefully tucked under our soft pillows, every night when we went to bed after a fun filled day. During my growing up years, whenever I needed the protective shoulder after a hard day or a difficult situation, you have always been there by my side. You have been my partner in crime and shielded and stood by me in all the highs and lows of life.


Thamma, Dadu and Rina mashi: A child needs to dream, needs a place to hide when she commits all the childish follies, the pranks in life. Every time the brother and me rolled in the sand when we did not get a toffee, or hid behind a bush not wanting to take the afternoon siesta, or wanted that one doll that could dance and sing, we always ran to you for your benevolent mercy. The bed time stories, the companionship when parents went to work, the love and affection that you endlessly showered, defined the best moments of our life.


Shubashree and Poulomee: The starry-eyed, giggling trio that we formed during our growing up years had an element of fun, a challenge and kinship that is so refreshing when I look back at it today. We made dreams together, fought and debated hard about our favorite movie stars and cricket players, participated in endless chatters and no-ends-meet discussions, and most important of all, you two filled up the space of two dotting friends who defined the highs of my school life, be it the innocence pranks or the brilliant day dreams.


The trio of Kolkata- Priya, Sabeena and Saswati: I was out of home, young and lonely in an unknown land, trying to define my destiny. The protected child that I was, I felt lost in the urban wilderness. You all, at different points in my life, gave me the companionship that helped me stay rooted to the ground and plan for tomorrow. Sabeena and Priya, thank you for bearing with my tantrums and giving way to my whims in those wild days of just gained freedom. Saswati, I will always owe you the generosity that you showed in braving the nerd (while I hid in my room) and taking me out of the relationship that I wanted to get out of, after two days of sunshine. Oh all those heartbreaks and crushes, the mooning and day dreams would not have been complete without you three.


The Delhi gang: I have already dedicated a piece to you before. What more can I say. Those were the wildest and craziest days of my life. I gained some of my best friends here. There are memories and people during this phase whom I have left behind for good—but the sorrows, the anguish, the failures were outweighed by the fun, the future and friendship that I got from you guys.


The husband: You are one of the most integral part of my life today. Between the two end points of my life, you are one of the most important today. Though we fight like cats and dogs, are two diverse personalities in every respect, you give me a grounding, a stability that allows me to be careless with life, to give wings to my whims, to throw caution to the wind and live for the moment. You give me the cushion which allows me to falter and fall, to live a carefree today to the hilt.


The in-laws (MIL, FIL and SIL): You are the most important people in the lives of the most important people of my life, my husband, my brother and my parents. Though we have had limited days together, you are an important part of my future. The stability that you bring in the lives of my dear ones, the joys that you give them are the joys that I bask in too. Thank you for the dearness and the love.

And thank you to all the friends, the colleagues, the bosses and the neighbors who have touched me intimately at different times, gave me that single smile, the one-time hope, the strong hand that makes me what I am today.

No comments: