Thursday, June 4, 2009

Hot and Sweaty...

No electricity for a while now. The husband believes in frugal living, so no power back-up at home. I think the time has come to chew his brains and get an inverter installed, especially if i were to plan an extended stay at home. All this stay at home is making me nostalgic. It's taking me back to those childhood summer holidays -- unlike the children of today, summer for us meant sweat dripping, skin scorching fun-filled outdoor activities under the hot sun. It meant mock fights under a cool shower, 'mom-made' summer delicacies, visits from friends and family, lazy afternoons, and pleasant evenings on the terrace over long discussions and story-telling sessions. The best part were the lazy summer afternoons, with an overfed stomach and nothing else to do, when we stared at the ceilings and weaved endless dreams, not knowing when sleep took over only to be greeted with the cool evening breeze and a glass of refreshing mango drink...oh those days!!! Back to the present. I am reading Shankar's 'Chowringhee' in English. I am afraid a lot of the nuances seem to be lost in the translation and probably it would be a better idea to have read it in the original form. So much for our anglicized upbringing. I have promised myself that I will make the effort to read more vernacular literature from now on. The prospect of another lazy day looming ahead is exciting. I might catch up with a friend for a girls' time-out today. Feel like pampering myself with a little bit of shopping. Oh, by the way, the cook didn't turn up yesterday...she is doing the disappearing act quite regularly now; need to find an alternative. However, that gave us the excuse to have some yummy Arabic food for dinner...the barbecue chicken with the smooth garlic sauce was delicious. The shabarmas were also quite good. The husband wants me to join him for lunch today. But I don't feel like doing the hour long drive to town, especially with my mad driver who is quite crazy on the roads. Getting good domestic help is a challenge in Mumbai. I am so enjoying it at home that thinking about freelancing seriously now. The initial response and feedback has been encouraging. There are also a couple of projects that are there for the taking. But 'entrepreneurship' is a big decision and I don't know whether I have it in me. So will sleep over it a few more days before taking the final plunge (either ways). Any advice on this bit will be welcome and genuinely appreciated. What else?? Like a typical girl, I couldn't have stuck to one topic and meandered over a lot of things. That is typical me, the pig head with bag full of silly ideas. Enough for now. See you again soon.

No comments: