Wednesday, March 4, 2009

After a hiatus

Visiting blogpost after a hiatus. The interim was an everyday affair. Visited Kolkata for a few days. The sights and sound of the city lifted the spirits. Siliguri was just an hours flight away-- but the busy schedule didn't permit the luxury :(. Every time I am with the husband's family, I marvel at the cultural difference that exists between us. From a nuclear, forward looking parental setting to a culture steeped background at the in-laws, it has been quite a journey for yours truly. The novelty hasn't worn off even after 3+ years of marriage and I am as easily perplexed now as I was as a new bride. The custom of ladies staying at home, managing the hearth, gossiping over hot 'chai' about sarees and jewelleries, and each other's eccentricities, the undercurrents and oneupmanship, is something that I watch with glee. For an outsider, it is good fodder for some humour, but for my life I couldn't be limited to that daily existence. There is also the bright sunny side of things. Added to the very ancient Bhowanipore residence, is the pride that the Chaudhury's feel in retracing the family tree, of boasting about the endearing childhood tales, of the aunt who sings lovely rabindra sangeet, or the brother who is a renowned painter, the sister-in-law who cooks the perfect 'bhapa ilish' or the family home which celebrates the 150 year old Durga puja. With the old world charm that exists at the family home in Kolkata, there are facets that the jeans-clad, bob haired your truly would find difficult to identify with. While there are some traditions that I abhor, some that I am uncomfortable with, there is no denying that there are facets which are fun, exciting and a whole new world to me. The only regret during this trip-- I missed visiting my parent's place in Siliguri, my childhood den, the filial love and warmth, the comforts that only Siliguri can provide. Already planned the next trip in April...Siliguri, here I come :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i so identify with your thoughts of the differences between my family and my husbands, and the limbo I stay in when I visit them :), not to mention of the numerous new things i learn- sravani